The Luminous Layers Of Italy
Draw and paint a live figure while exploring adding depth and luminosity through the use of encaustic wax!
September 10-16, 2017
Limited spots available!
I'm so delighted and honored to have been invited by Bill & Kristin Steiner of Adventures in Italy to teach in beautiful Orvieto! This opportunity is a dream come true! I hope you will join me! Let me tell you a little bit about our plans...
Your magical week in Italy will begin with a classical experience in life drawing - just like the old masters! Ivy will work with a local female (non nude) model as she guides the class through gesture drawings, longer poses and finally a portrait study. The group will work with simple yet beautiful materials including charcoal, graphite, pastel and washes of paint, in warm sepia and earthy umber to truly capture that old world beauty! A focus on expressive work over realism will result in lively and emotional work!
You will be working with Ivy to complete a mixed media portrait with the “Italian Muse” as an enticing and inspiring theme. Learning to blend collage, portraiture and paints, this project will be one to cherish and will draw inspiration from Italian culture and history.
A luminous exploration of encaustic wax is also on the exciting art agenda! This luscious and magical medium is truly a delight and Ivy will teach you many techniques, including creating layered collages and stunning landscape paintings, where oil paint and wax merge creating glowing results.
You will leave Orvieto full of inspiration, new artistic skills and extensive mixed media knowledge - PLUS personal and soulful artwork that will forever commemorate this life changing adventure!
In the workshop you will:
- Experience the classical study of figure drawing, painting & portraiture
- Learn how to be more expressive in your work
- Learn how to use collage and mixed media to create evocative portraits
- Learn to use encaustic wax in conjunction with collage, paint and more
- Learn how to mix many different kinds of art materials to achieve a rich, layered look
- Infuse your art with old world beauty and character
- Heighten your sense of observation, sense of color, form and aesthetics
- Create beautiful and soulful art that you will treasure for years to come
Some artistic and basic drawing/painting skills recommended - Intermediate Level
- Walnut Ink
- Large watercolor or mixed media sketchbook 11" x 14"
- Small assortment of acrylic/craft paints (your fav colors)
- 2 Canvas boards 11" x 14" or 9" x 12"
- Assorted brushes
- Matte Gel Medium
- 2 Cradled wood panels 6" x 6" or 8" x 8"
- 1 Quart size baggie of collage papers (vintage papers, scrapbook paper, ephemera etc.)
- Assorted sketching pencils & eraser
- Small travel sketchbook
- Old rags
- Baby Wipes
- Any other fav supplies or materials
Take A Tour of Orvieto!
Outside of the classroom you will:
- Enjoy tasting Orvieto's wines and olive oils, paired with local foods andunder the guidance of a trainer of sommeliers
- Learn to cook Italian food with a James Beard chef then enjoying the exquisite meal you have prepared
- Tour Italy's most impressive Gothic cathedral
- Travel to a vineyard for a personalized wine tasting
- Shop at the weekly market - an institution in Italian towns
- Explore the Etruscan culture from 800 B.C.
What's Included In This Retreat
- Workshop instruction
- Pre-trip notes and guidelines
- Six nights double occupancy lodging - Sunday to Saturday
- Six Continental breakfasts
- Cooking class and dinner
- One additional dinner
- Four lunches
- Vineyard tour and wine tasting
- Wine and olive oil tasting
- Cathedral tour and visit to San Brizio chapel
- Advice on travel plans before or after the trip, if desired
Single occupancy available for an additional cost. Because Italian cuisine is such fun, some meals are not prearranged allowing you the freedom to choose where and what to eat. We do give lots of advice and no one eats alone! Travel costs are not included.
Hosted by Adventures in Italy. Go here to read more and register.